Written By: Amy Miller
I’ve seen this diagram in the past, but it’s making its way around social media again and it still resonates with me. Part of what I do as a Life Coach is to help people find their “Purpose.”
Spiritual Wellness is one of the 8 dimensions of well that I cover in 21 Days to Well and as a Life Coach. Spiritual Wellness involves having meaning and purpose and a sense of balance and peace and may or may not include Religion.
Some elements of Spiritual Wellness include prayer, meditation, or personal reflection as well as understanding other’s beliefs and values. There should be a direct relationship between your personal values and your daily actions. Ultimately, we are talking about the self-awareness and understanding of your place in the universe, your purpose in life, your true passion.
Often, we are not immediately aware of our “purpose in life”. Maybe you even think there is no such thing as a “purpose,” but it is here, in your purpose, that you will find true fulfillment. Your purpose in life may not be something profound like “to heal others” or “to teach the next generation” or “end war.”
One purpose may be “to love” or “to be happy” or “to take care of my pets” or “to find and share my gift.” We may get so caught up searching for our Life’s Purpose, that we forget we may have many purposes. But how do we find them?
We find our purposes by following our hearts and intuition and trusting ourselves to make the right choices. Listen to the thoughts that occur to you during or after meditation. During meditation, we open the channels of communication between our mind and our unlimited awareness. Listen carefully, as it will often be as quiet as a whisper and it might be overshadowed by the voice of the world – what you have been nurtured and enculturated to believe.
Try this exercise.
- Keep a notebook and pen just for writing down your plans for your future. I like to have a pretty notebook and a special pen that I don’t use for anything else. I keep mine in my bedroom because it is a calm space where I feel safe. You might have a special meditation room or an office that makes you feel at your most comfortable. Keep your notebook and pen in the place where you most often meditate.
- Practice meditation daily, even if only for 5 or 10 minutes.
- Once your meditation has become easier and you are able to let the mind and body relax for 5 minutes or more at a time, begin occasionally saying to yourself “reveal to me my highest calling” just before you begin to relax. Then forget about it; don’t start thinking about what your calling is or should be. It will only be revealed to you when you stop thinking and listen.
- During your meditation, if a thought pops into your mind, quickly write it down and then go back to meditating. Don’t explore the thought now; that will close off your connection to your all-knowing spirit and set the human mind to work. You can take care of that later.
- Remember that not every thought that comes into your head during this time will be an answer to your question, but it is usually placed in your mind for a reason. Listen!
Don’t get discouraged when life doesn’t seem to be moving in the direction you want. Sometimes, when things don’t happen in our lives exactly the way we planned or on the time frame we imagined, we think all is lost. However, we ultimately have the knowledge of the way life is meant to unfold and while it doesn’t always meet our conscious expectations, if you listen to your heart and soul, the path you are on will not fail you.
Set-backs on your path are there to teach you something. The sooner you learn from these trials the sooner you can get back on track to fulfilling your purpose. As you explore your purpose, don’t be afraid to let it evolve and change.
Within each of us is a deep understanding of our values and through allowing our conscious minds to uncover these values, we can apply our personal strengths and abilities to create our purpose, our goals, our legacy. Through this process we become the author of our destiny. Every choice you make is a part of your life story but your story progresses in any way you choose. Whatever you want with all of your heart, you can make happen.